Thursday 7 January 2010

A matter of happiness




Semalam, tepat pukul 9 pagi, aku dan Joann mengambil tempat duduk di Auditorium FRIM untuk menghadiri mesyuarat pertama bahagian Perhutanan dan Alam Sekitar bagi tahun 2010.

15 minit selepas mesyuarat bermula, minda aku hanya ada satu soalan: What in the world am I doing here?

Kamu pernah rasa lemas? Itu saja yang dapat aku rasakan sedang tuan pengerusi sibuk menelaah slide powerpoint di podium. Mulutnya terkumat-kamit tapi satu pun aku tak dengar. Aku faham apa yang sedang dibentangkan; bajet dan target kerja untuk setiap unit bahagian bagi tahun ini.

Yang aku tak faham: What's this got to do with me?

Kamu percaya tak? kadang-kadang, kita tak kenal diri kita sendiri. Dalam kekecohan kita nak buat benda baik, nak contribute, nak make the world a better place, kita turuti jalan yang mungkin tak begitu sesuai dengan jiwa kita.

Aku tersedar, aku pilih FRIM kerana aku mangsa idealisme. Sedari kecil tempat ini membentuk aku menjadi seorang yang cintakan alam; menyebabkan aku mengiblatkan seluruh hidup ke jalan itu. Dari zaman sekolah sampailah ke menara gading, fokus aku hanya satu; aku mahu jadi seorang environmentalist.

Nah, secara logik, ke mana lagi aku mahu pergi selepas semua itu, kalau tak pulang ke akar umbi?

Aku lihat di sekeliling, kepada pejawat-pejawat yang sudah dekat separuh abad bersama FRIM. Di dalam mata mereka sudah hilang bayang semangat. Seperti aku mereka semua mendengar bentangan acuh tak acuh; mungkin membayangkan bihun dan kueytiau goreng yang sudah tersedia di ruang legar.

Cuma tuan pengerusi dan rakan-rakan setugasnya - boss-boss kami - di barisan hadapan yang galak membincangkan isu-isu semasa:
"Projek you dapat funding banyak mana?"

"You publish kat jurnal Borneo Science? ada impact factor ke tu?"

"FRIM dah mansuhkan tabung Tea Club. Takde la jamuan makan besar-besaran lepas ni ek.."
Aku tahu kenapa aku rimas. This is not what I'm looking for..

Bukan aku kata tugas di FRIM tak mencabar. Aku suka penyelidikan. Aku juga suka makmal. Kelawar lagi la aku suka! Tapi.. there's something missing. Aku suka, tapi aku tak cinta. Sekarang ini aku kurang pasti bagaimana tugas aku di FRIM akan dapat menyumbang kepada konservasi alam sekitar, which is what I want to happen.

Aku kucing advokasi. Aku suka belajar dan mengajar, terutamanya bidang biodiversity. Aku teringat betapa aku enjoy bawa student Dr. Jalal masuk hutan dan paya bakau time aku kerja sebagai demonstrator/RA di UIA dulu. Ya, memang banyak kerja. Lesson plan aku sendiri yang kena lakar. Berminggu-minggu aku buat research; tulis manual.

But you know what? I did it with love. Lots of love!




Terlewat, tapi aku realize sekarang yang aku sangat suka jadi guru. Aku suka tengok students belajar. Bila mereka tanya soalan, aku suka carikan jawapannya. Aku suka cara muka mereka berubah menjadi kagum dengan ciptaan Tuhan; bila mereka faham dan ambil tindakan.

Dah lama aku tak lihat semua tu. Aku rindu.

Yang lagi sedihnya:

Mum, what do you think if I became a lecturer?

I was thinking the same thing! Leave FRIM and go to USM, or UNIMAS.. you'll be great at it!


Gee, thanks for the vote of confidence, Ma.. (-_-)

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

mata saya pening tengok nucleotides!

heh, kak opie tak boleh lari kerja admin...well, nanti masuk akedemik pun sure kena wat admin...hahahahha

tak boleh lari dowh!

Opie said...

Ni bukan pasal kerja admin.. that's the least of my problems!

It's about being where I can most contribute to the things I love..

Nurhidayati Abd Aziz said...

Kak Sofie,

You'll be great at it! Being a lecturer, I mean. :)

Sometimes in work I believe you have to ride it out to get to do things you love, but if you think you've already found your calling - I think you should just go for it.

And remember, we used to get really frustrated with the types of lecturers who are not supposed to be lecturers because they don't have passion for education?

We're still young, there's nothing wrong with starting again. :)

Opie said...

Ati, that's right!

I've always loved teaching, and God knows I've been offered such positions a lot.. (both for the secondary and tertiary level)

But the reason I turned them down was because I've always felt I haven't enough knowledge just yet to do my students justice.

Nak ajar anak orang bukan perkara senang. Satu tanggungjawab yang tak terpikul, if you really think about it.. You're involved in helping them create their future, for heaven's sakes! How can anyone take that lightly??

But, while I can say that I've found my true calling, I think I'll stick with FRIM until I've gained enough knowledge to share. Maybe along the way I'll take up some part time teaching job like my mum did back when she just had her masters.. options, options! ^^

Nurhidayati Abd Aziz said...

Kak Sofie, of course, that's a brilliant idea too. Get the best of both worlds! :)

Hey, our conversation is long overdue. I'm getting a little restless here. I'm coming home to realize that my principles have clashed with two of the closest people I had in my life already. At this rate, change is my constant state - if I can't get along with people on the basis of similar dreams, passions, and beliefs - I'm not getting along with anyone at all!

I wonder if we could rise above and beyond this.

Take care, Kak Sofie, and work hard! :p

Opie said...

Ati,

Since we're overdue for a conversation, I'll give an overview here.. ^^

Principles will clash often, esp. when you've seen or experience things others have not.

On our part, we have to understand that others haven't been where we have, and therefore may not fully understand where we're coming from.

BUT, what is even more IMPORTANT than just understanding:

We must find ways to reconciliate our present self with our past.

Remember that the thing that binds you to your friends and family involved those very same principles you may no longer be in agreement with.

You've changed, that much you admitted yourself. In that sense, it's going to take a little time for others to adjust to you.

(I guess this is a lot harder because instead of just accepting your constant spiritual metamorphic state, they also want to know what causes it, and if it could somehow be reversed.. XD)

Just take is easy sis.. if I haven't clued you in yet, these things take time! ^^

Luv ya..

Nurhidayati Abd Aziz said...

Kak Sofie,

You know what, I just realized today why I feel so disappointed.

In Sydney, when I think of Malaysia - I remember feeling proud, and feeling so optimistic to merge the two worlds together. I had faith and I was optimistic.

Not only of my life, but of the people I'm coming home to.

Maybe I had mistakenly thought of high expectations as optimism.

Nevertheless, sis. I believe you. It's going to take time, and I'm willing to wait through it.

Thanks! :)

Nurhidayati Abd Aziz said...

Kak Sofie,

What are you doing on Jan 23rd (Saturday)?

I would like to ask you to come to an event with me, check this out
Believe instead.

Opie said...

Hi ati,

I don't have anything penned down for that saturday, and the talk sounds interesting!

maybe we could sign up first and then see if we can make it?

Opie said...

Uh, about higher expectations..

I don't think you've mistaken high expectations for optimism..

Rather, I think the high expectations caused your optimism!

I mean, we wouldn't be so optimistic if we didn't more or less believe things would go the way we wanted, right?

Here, 'merging the two worlds' is the high expectation. Not that it cannot be done, but it is a feat insurmountable without tolerance and understanding..

Which, as I've mentioned, brings everything back to reconciliation.. ^^